UK, H2B1(P) Variant

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

UK, H2B1(P) Variant

Postby dannmayo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:27 am

H2B1P3x.jpg
H2B1P3.jpg

I was attracted to the postcard shown here primarily because the handstamp in the illustration on eBay appeared to be narrower than that shown in Torrance and Morenweiser. Caveat: eBay illustrations do not always maintain the proportions of the original items.

I did also note, however, that the "P" in this handstamp is in a different font than that shown for H2B1(P) on T&M page 91. And, on closer inspection, the stop after 'P" appears to be a square rather than a circle.

At 5 points, H2B1(P) handstamps are among the more common of he UK WWII censor handstamps. Perhaps those of you who specialize in this area can take a look to see if there are any patterns involving typefaces and stops among your examples of this handstamp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dannmayo

Re: UK, H2B1(P) Variant

Postby gmark » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:24 am

Hello Dann
I agree that your handstamp is different from 2B1(P), but as you refer to an old edition of our UK books you will not have p143 of the 2nd edition (2011). I will bring one with me to Pipex if Chuck does not have one in stock.
On p143 there is an illustration of a pc from London to Venice, 10Dec39, with a P.50 handstamp which looks very similar to the one you illustrate. It has serifs on the P and the stop looks square.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gmark

Return to World War II