WWII “Released” marking

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

WWII “Released” marking

Postby michaeldeery » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:59 pm

A handstamp using the wording – letters is somewhat puzzling and any help would be appreciated

This marking is seen on two covers – 2 March 1945 and 23 April 1945 both posted from Germany: 23 April cover posted from Heiodelberg, Germany to a POW in a camp in France; the other from Munich to Oberpfalz?

Does the word “RELEASED” relat to the cover being released or to an individual? What does C C D stand for? Concentration Camp Detainee?
I have provided a scan of the marking.
Thanks, Michael
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
michaeldeery

Re: WWII “Released” marking

Postby gmark » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:45 pm

Hello Michael
WW2 is not my strong suit but the English language indicates and unberroller, ie mail posted under the Nazi regime and delivered under the occupying forces.
Looking at the CCSG index I find an answer for you in Vol.5 (October 1977) pp5-12
CCD was the Civil Censorship Division in the US Zone of Germany.
Group A was in Munich, Group B was at Offenbach, Group C was Berlin, Group D was Nuremberg (later Klumbach), Group E at Stuttgart and Group F at Frankfurt.
The illustrations in this article do not match your item - in every case the A is shown "A" or <<A>>.
Only the Munich station appears to have used this group of markings.
I hope this helps
Graham
gmark

Re: WWII “Released” marking

Postby michaeldeery » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks Graham for your response - certainly helped and fortunately I have all the CCSG Bulletins!

I have attached a corrected version of the "Released" marking that I have.

Also I have added a scan of the cover. The arrow points to the marking. On the back of the cover is a Berlin censor sealing tape (Landsmann type BV3.2).

Any comments on the cover from forum members is certainly welcome. Specifically on PW3B France (camp).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
michaeldeery

Return to World War II