New Zealand and Burma

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

New Zealand and Burma

Postby davelucas » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:29 pm

I am a new member of the CCSG and user of the Forum. I have 3 questions relating to recent I acquisitions . The first 2 are concerned with lots from the recent CCSG auction . Can you please refer to the vendors description of these in the October Bulletin. The 3rd. Item was obtained at a local Stamp Fair.
1.) Lot 152. Air Mail From NZ to UK at the 3/6d rate I assume that the letter was examined in London, but what does D.D. A. On the P.C. 90 tape refer to? I can find no reference to this tape in Morenweiser.
2.) Lot 55.) Burma to GB. I assume that the cover was flown from Rangoon to Hong Kong via Bangkok and then by sea to the UK via Panama. Is this Correct? A postage rate of 1R is presumably too low for the trans Pacific and trans Atlantic air routes. I assume that the air mail etiquette was deleted in Hong Kong.
3.) Another air mail cover from Burma to the UK. This time dated 2/3/42 at a rate of 1r 2A. I assume that this went by the Horse Shoe Route since by this tme Hong Kong and Singapore had fallen to the Japanese and Rangoon was to fall only 5 days later. Is this all correct? If so why the rate of 1R 2A?
I would be very grateful for any help. Thanks, Dave Lucas.
davelucas

Re: New Zealand and Burma

Postby dannmayo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:21 pm

I am not conversant with airmail rates, but can tell you that DDA was the Imperial letter code for New Zealand (DD being NZ, A a location within NZ). Unlike India, NZ had only the one location, so there is no DDB, DDC, etc.
dannmayo

Re: New Zealand and Burma

Postby gmark » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:52 pm

New Zealand
DDA, as Dann explained was the code for New Zealand on the PC90 labels and on handstamps. Dann was not correct though when he said there was only one censorship station.
The late Robin Startup did much work on NZ censors and was able to attribute the number following the DDA code to various cities in NZ and on the Dependant Islands. It seems the censorship was done locally to the point of posting rather than being concentrated at the port of departure for overseas mails.
There were also circular handstamps which read "PASSED BY CENSOR N.Z. / (number)" but these numbers do not correspond to the "D.D.A./ (number)" on the PC90 labels.
These are all listed in our Australasia volume of 2008 by John Little
We have a lady member in New Zealand, who I hope will join the forum and may have some further information for you.
Graham Mark
gmark

Return to World War II