PC5 label

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

PC5 label

Postby oliverl » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:46 pm

Can anyone tell me anything about the PC5 label on the reverse of this cover? I am a bit perplexed also by the HS Ship Tombstone censor on a cover being sent to a person with the same last name in New Jersey. Its dated 3/12/43, noted to be maritime mail. Where would the PC5 label have been applied? I also thought the free franking privilege only applied to surface mail, and air mail required a stamp - could the air mail surcharge have been paid in cash? Thanks, Larry Oliver
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oliverl

Re: PC5 label

Postby pburrows » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:19 pm

Hi Larry

Can you please send scans of both sides of your cover to peterburrows116@btinternet.com

Then I may be able to help you

Cheers Peter
pburrows

Postby pburrows » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:28 pm

Hi again

The scans suddenly appeared

The label is my M2.2 used on Trinidad & Tobago

It looks like it was from an American working at the British naval base on the island writing to his mother

Hope this helps Peter
pburrows

Postby oliverl » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:12 pm

Hi Peter,
Thanks greatly for the information. Can you give me the information on your book or article? And, if available, where can I get it? I assumed the addressee was the man's wife, since the initials are the same.

Larry
oliverl

Postby LuzA » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:28 pm

oliverl wrote:Can anyone tell me anything about the PC5 label on the reverse of this cover? I am a bit perplexed also by the HS Ship Tombstone censor on a cover being sent to a person with the same last name in New Jersey. Its dated 3/12/43, noted to be maritime mail. Where would the PC5 label have been applied? I also thought the free franking privilege only applied to surface mail, and air mail required a stamp - could the air mail surcharge have been paid in cash? Thanks, Larry Oliver

Good evening,

Dear Oliverl.

Here we have two notes about this P.C.5 [Enclosed] Memoranda label and one about the so-called "Tombstone" mark.

1 - P.C.5 - Trinidad and Tobago. Known circa January 1944 "[...] to be inserted into censored items before re-sealing." (1)
2 - P.C.5 - Trinidad and Tobago. Known from 3 December 1943 to January 1944. (2)
3 - "Tombstone" mark - It seems to be the N107 (3)

(1) - WIKE (1993). British Empire Civil Censorship Devices World War II Trinidad and Tobago. [...]
(2) - BURROWS (Edited by) (2016). British Empire Civil Censorship Devices World War II Trinidad and Tobago Section 6 British West Indies & Falkland Islands [...].
(3) - COLLEY (2016). World War Two Censor Marks. Forces Postal History Society, 2nd Ed.
LuzA
Postal history and philatelic literature
LuzA

Return to World War II