German Ax cachet used in Paris

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

German Ax cachet used in Paris

Postby CranmerJ » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:31 pm

Is there any information as to when the German Ax censor cachet started to be used in the Paris censor station on mail from Canada to the Red Cross in Geneva.

John
CranmerJ

Re: German Ax cachet used in Paris

Postby dmui » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:45 am

Hi John-

Horst Landsman's book- Die Zensur von Zivilpost in Deutschland im 2 Weltkrieg. is the reference for WWII German civil censorship.

Five varieties of the Ax in a circle markings are shown used between Jan 1943 and August 1944- They are described as Durchlaufstempels "stamps used for items passing through the ABP bur not examined (pass marks)" The ABP's were the foreign letter examination offices with X designating Paris station as you noted.

Dave
dmui

Postby LuzA » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:40 pm

CranmerJ wrote:Is there any information as to when the German Ax censor cachet started to be used in the Paris censor station on mail from Canada to the Red Cross in Geneva.

John

Good evening.

Your question is very specific. Let's see:

1 - With German Ax censor cachet
AND
2 - From Canada to Red Cross
AND
3 -To Genève

Typically we would say, generic approch, exactly what dmui said, quoting Landsmann (2019:326) 2. Auflage and also LANDSMANN (2007:375). I.e. 5 types of cachets from 1/January/1943 to August/1944 (or 4 types from March/1943 to August/1944 acc. to RIEMER (1979:187)

However... would you mean exactly that From To? OR... should we consider the nonrestrictive usage of the Ax censor cachet ?

I would suggest too, about these matters, a look at the studies about these routes by Charles LaBlonde - World War II Mail from Switzerland to Great Britain, Canada and the USA and also the 2012 Post D-Day Swiss Mail to/from Great Britain and the Americas.

Post scriptum
Riemer (1979) - German language
Landsmann (2007) - German language
Landsmann (2019) - bilingual, German/English language
LaBlonde - English language
Last edited by LuzA on Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LuzA
Postal history and philatelic literature
LuzA

Postby CranmerJ » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:53 pm

Thank you those thoughts and references.

I have today managed to find a copy of Landsmann's book at a reasonable price on the web and although I do not speak or read German I expect I will be able to struggle through it with the help of on-line translators. My interests are very specific as below.

I was specific in my question as I try to strictly limit my WW2 collecting to items with a Canadian connection and for Germany that almost always means POW or Swiss mail. This is part of a more general Canada KG6 collection.

LaBlonde's book says that after the Germans took over Vichy France (11/1942) mail to Switzerland could not miss out German held territory. But he does not say when the Ax cachet started to be use. I was wondering if in the 13 years since that book was published on more definite information had been found.

AQ
CranmerJ

Postby LuzA » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:44 pm

Good evening.

Here you have some comments, below, red colour, inside your text.

CranmerJ wrote:Thank you those thoughts and references.

I have today managed to find a copy of Landsmann's book at a reasonable price on the web and although I do not speak or read German I expect I will be able to struggle through it with the help of on-line translators. My interests are very specific as below.

The Landsmann book, 2019 edition, is bilingual - German/English.

I was specific in my question as I try to strictly limit my WW2 collecting to items with a Canadian connection and for Germany that almost always means POW or Swiss mail. This is part of a more general Canada KG6 collection.

My previous question was not only about the countries. I was also asking about the "unique" addressee you referred.

LaBlonde's book says that after the Germans took over Vichy France (11/1942) mail to Switzerland could not miss out German held territory. But he does not say when the Ax cachet started to be use. I was wondering if in the 13 years since that book was published on more definite information had been found.

The 2nd edition of Landsmann book, in 2019, that I and dmui referred, says 1 jan/1943.

The second of LaBlonde book I referred was issued in 2012. Its title is the following:
Post D-Day Swiss Mail to/from Great Britain and the Americas and was published by American Helvetic Society. Its contents is, mainly, about the 1944 year.

AQ
LuzA
Postal history and philatelic literature
LuzA

Return to World War II