Comment to “German censorship of transit mail”

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

Comment to “German censorship of transit mail”

Postby christiansperber » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:01 pm

Having been granted acces to the board I would like to share a comment regarding Michael Piggin’s article “German censorship of transit mail” in the October 2013 CCSG Bulletin, page 112.
It should be noted that mail from members of the Wehrmacht to non-enemy countries had to franked. As such the cover is not marked “Feldpost” which would indicate free postage. 25 Pf was the ordinary foreign letter rate.
The sender provides a Feldpost address on the reverse side, confirmed by the official seal on the front of the cover. This indicates that the sender was a member of the armed forces, and “Matrose” has been the lowest Naval rank.
Civilians could use the Feldpost in occupied territories where there was no “Deutsche Dienstpost”. Such covers had to be marked “Durch Deutsche Feldpost” and had to be franked.

I checked this in the Michel Handbuch-Katalog Deutsche Feldpost 1937-1945, 4th edition, 2002.

Perhaps somebody could let us know the reason for having the Finnish mark on that cover to Sweden, I have no idea.
Best regards,

Christian
christiansperber

Return to World War II