Guadeloupe /commonwealth censor

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

Guadeloupe /commonwealth censor

Postby nilsonr » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:00 am

My scanner is acting up, so I hope I can explain this. I have a cover- Pointe-a-Pitre Guadeloupe to New York, Postmarked July 2, 1940. It has a Guadeloupe censor tape on the left, and a Guadeloupe censor marking on the front. It also has a faint purple F, (13mmx10mm) on the front. On the right side, there is a PC.90 censor tape 8040. Inside the cover, is a blue form 113a, which is stated in my reference to have been used in Barbados. '8040', and 10/7/41 is written on bottom of the from in blue ink, and some initials in red ink. It notes that 'sketches were mentioned in the correspondence, but found to be missing when the letter was opened by the censor. My references don't list 8040 as a Barbados censor, and 8040 in not listed anywhere in the Caribbean censors that I can find. Did this cover go all the way to England to be censored, and then to NY? I am kind of a rookie at civil censorship, so forgive me if this is too elementary.
nilsonr

Re: Guadeloupe /commonwealth censor

Postby nilsonr » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:27 am

while searching this site, I found my answer in the data base. Censored in Trinidad. This still makes me wonder about the form 113a though.
nilsonr

Re: Guadeloupe /commonwealth censor

Postby dannmayo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi,

Super item with a nice can of worms. I hope your scanner is working soon.

1) I do not find a reference to this form in the CCSG publications for the UK, Barbados or Trinidad. The Form 113 shown in the UK book is entirely different from the Form 113a that you describe. What is the reference that you mention that identifies Form 113a to Barbados.

2) Examiner 8040 is identified to Trinidad based on the one cover reported in the database on this website. It is not mentioned per se in either the Barbados or Trinidad chapters. (Though the Trinidad chapter mentions 8002 to 8100, 8040 is not identified to any tape.) I think that the attribution in the database to Trinidad is right; certainly it is logical given the mail route.

Dann
dannmayo

Return to World War II