Dominica 1941 TC sensorship

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

Dominica 1941 TC sensorship

Postby dannmayo » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:45 pm

[attachment=0]Dominica001.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]Dominica002.jpg[/attachment]See scans of 2 covers with manuscript Dominica censor mark not listed in the CCSG Catalog. These "look right" and came to me from the 1941 addressee, so I'm pretty sure they are legitimate. Can anyone shed any more light on them -- in particular, the identity of the censor, based on his initials?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dannmayo

Re: Dominica 1941 TC sensorship

Postby gmark » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Hello Dann
My I refer you to the official "History" paras 949-957 and particularly para 955.
In Jan 1941 messages were sent out to colonial governments drawing attention to the possible use of 'Ship's Boxes' for smuggliing mail.
In the section of the Caribbean stations, paras 1281 etc, it pointed out that on the smaller islands the censorship was often done by the local postmaster. The contents of the Ship's Box might well be examined by the Naval authorities. So the Colonial Office List for 1941 is the reference book you need to see if you can match the initials with the Postmaster or the Senior Naval Officer. In the latter case in Dominica he was very likely the Harbourmaster.
I hope this helps (I do not have the Colonila Office List of that date only 1930 which would be too early. The Postmaster then was E B Seignoret and his deputy at Portsmouth was S E Moir who was also Warden of the Northern District and Sub-Treasurer.)
Best regards
Graham
gmark

Return to World War II