LIMA TO SWIZERLAND

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

LIMA TO SWIZERLAND

Postby belcherstephen » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:44 pm

I have purchased a censored letter from Lima Peru to Swizerland 29.01 1942 backstamped Miami 03.02.1942 and New York 04.02.1942 censor no D 8817 Which airline would have taken this letter to Panama for onward flight via Jamaica
Steve
belcherstephen

Re: LIMA TO SWIZERLAND

Postby dannmayo » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:37 am

Hi Stephen,

Not my area, so I asked Ken Lawrence your question and this is what I got back:

The airline that carried mail up the west side of South America was Panagra, the conglomerate of Pan American Airways and W.R. Grace.

This would have been (US) Foreign Air Mail (FAM) Route 9 throughout the 1940s. My reading of the American Air Mail Catalogue has this connecting to service on FAM 5, operated by Pan American Airways, from Cristobal to Miami via Kingston and Cienfuegos, also throughput the 1940s.

Dann Mayo
dannmayo

Postby belcherstephen » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:44 pm

Thank you for the information with regards Stephen
belcherstephen

Postby Ray Murphy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Re the routing. This very easily could have been routed via Cali Columbia to Kingston and then onward to Miami. The USPS had a routing agency in Columbia to handle PANAGRA mail. As I understand it, mail going to the east coast cities was supposed to be routed via Kingston and west coast via Cristobal, although I have seen examples to the contrary.
Ray
Ray Murphy

Postby belcherstephen » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:56 pm

Noting the comments of Ray Murphy regarding the use of Cali as the point where the mail was diverted to Jamaica I note in the article in the bulletin dated January 2016 by Richard Beith that the Cali agency shut on the 31 January 1942
my letter is dated and postmarked Lima 29 January 1942 could this have been one of the last letters through Cali
I am afraid the Jamaica examiner did not date his label but the letter is dated Febuary 3 in Miami
belcherstephen

Postby Ray Murphy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:36 am

Hi Stephen,

I’m not an expert on airline routing, but my guess on a travel time from Bolivia to Miami would be about 4-5 days assuming everything went right. I base this on an ad I saw claiming Miami to Argentina in 7 days in the early 1930's. (See FAM 9 writeup in AAMS Vol3) Since PANAM and PANAGRA changed out airplanes several times, this could depend on the type of aircraft used. PANAM was trying to get away from the flying boats in the late 1930's in favor of the faster and larger land-based aircraft. PANAGRA had switched to DC2's and DC3's. Jamaica was the critical point since there were no commercial landing strips available, only the harbor. PANAM threatened to cut off FAM5, so the Brits finally allowed use of Palisados Royal Navy airfield in 1940 for land-based aircraft. Apparently BSC and Censorship worked for this since the info they picked up was useful. As the war progressed, newer engine and better navaids improved flights..

One major problem in the prewar years was navaids, or the lack thereof. This limited flying to daylight hours. They weren’t going real fast - it took about 7 hours from Miami to Kingston with a stop at Cienfuegos which maxed out crew time. Going southward, I believe mail was transferred at Barraquila or Cristobal to FAM9. While passengers would be routed correctly, cargo has a nasty habit of not saying anything when delayed. I know FAM5 flew at a difference frequency than FAM9 so interconnects add to cargo delays. People, however, are normally ticketed on connecting flights - if not, they complain. On occasion, I had to track priority one shipments on military or civil aircraft. Even with good comm and manifest numbers, packages would get sidetracked regardless of priority. It really expanded my vocabulary!!!

One area that I didn’t cover in the book was the effect of mail contents on time to censor. Personal mail was easier to censor than business mail. As long as a person wasn’t on one of the lists, and didn’t take about war-related items, it went rapidly. Business mail, on the other hand, required someone with a knowledge of the particular industry. That is why the mail from stamp dealers was initially looked on with such suspicion. Eventually a bureau of dealers reviewed the mail and would indicated a copy for 20 PB of SG123 MNH/F or better was a legitimate order. They probably would be suspicious if it were a quantity of 4000 PB or of SG9876.

One of the reasons for mentioning time in the book was that some people saw a PC90 on a letter from Jamaica without a country code and said that it was censored in England, although addressed to New York. Since even today it takes about 8-10 days to get a letter to England, and about the same in return, a letter from Jamaica to New York via London arriving in less than 3 weeks by airmail could not have reasonably been sent to the UK, censored, and returned to the US.

Hope this helps.

Ray
Ray Murphy

Postby belcherstephen » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Dear Ray
Thanks for your reply like I said although I have collected terminal mail for years I have only just started to consider the transit mail which I find frustrating but very interesting .In regard to the Peru letter this is from the Banco Italiano in Lima and feel may have gone through Cali as transit times were very quick plus the Jamaican censor.
Jim Forte covers website has the same envelope design sent to the same person in Switzerland but posted 1 Feb at Lima a day after the shutting of Cali that letter was censored in Bermuda with transit times Miami 4 Feb NY 5 Feb

with thanks once again Steve
belcherstephen

Return to World War II