Paris Mystery Mark

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

Paris Mystery Mark

Postby dannmayo » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:39 pm

Back in Vol. 19, No. 1 of the CCSG Bulletin I raised the issue of the DD machine mark on mail transiting France to the Red Cross (et al.) in early 1944. Since then Chuck LaBlonde has mentioned and illustrated it (and others of the same design with different letter combinations) in his mail to/from Switzerland books (naming it the "Paris mystery mark"), and Horst Landsmann has illustrated it in his WWII German civil censorship book, noting that it's relationship to the German censor station inn Paris is unknown.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has solved the mysteries of who applied these markings and why. And even if you don't have those answers but do have additional examples of this sort of marking, it would be good to have scans of them. Perhaps a pattern suggesting the answers will emerge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dannmayo

Re: Paris Mystery Mark

Postby dmui » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:11 pm

Howdy Dann-

Welcome to the CCSG forum-

I have a handful of these type of covers including CC, AA/HB in a circle as well as ones with empty circles. Unfortunately, I don't have a working scanner so I can't post any images at this time.

GB Postmark dates ranging from Feb25/44 to March 15/44 to Red Cross in Geneva Switzerland. rates paid are either 3d for surface or 5d for airmail

Additional CC in circle commercial cover from Capetown South Africa 12/10/43 to La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland with apparently privately applied receiving date of 11 AVR 1944.

If additional info would be useful, let me know.

Dave
dmui

Re: Paris Mystery Mark

Postby gmark » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:10 pm

Hello Friends
Tony Brooks has been seeking information and data on this Paris Mystery mark.
I am not sure whether Tony has signed up for the Forum. I will prompt him.
Seasons greetings to all our readers
Graham
gmark

Return to World War II