Early date for Type H2D Transit Parcel hand stamp?

A place to discuss censored mail from World War II

Early date for Type H2D Transit Parcel hand stamp?

Postby GibbonsB » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:37 pm

Hello,

I recently bought this example of a type H2D crown over passed octagonal hand stamp on a wrapper postmarked 22 November 1940. K. Morenweiser and P. Burrows (2020) provide a known date range for the use of this stamp of 22 August 1941 to 10 July 1945. It appears that this may extend that range considerably. I haven't been able to find much information about this stamp (admittedly my library is thin), nor examples of it, although Morenweiser and Burrows assign it a 6 of out 10 on their point scale, so presumably there are many more examples.

Any information about the use of this stamp and other examples of early use would be appreciated. The reverse and interior of the wrapper are blank.
T.P. H2D 22-11-1940.jpg

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GibbonsB

Re: Early date for Type H2D Transit Parcel hand stamp?

Postby dmui » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:43 pm

Hi here are scans of my early TP 34 censor cover- Using PostmarkReveal tool- the Brussels cancel appears to read March 1940
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmui

Re: Early date for Type H2D Transit Parcel hand stamp?

Postby GibbonsB » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:54 am

Thank you for sharing that. Aside from being earlier, yours is also interesting in that it does not appear to be a parcel. I understood the T.P. stamp to have been used on parcels and assumed my wrapper fell into that category. Its use on your cover seems to contradict that. I am still very much a novice in the collecting of civil censorship covers and have much to learn. If anyone can share any insight they may have on the use of the TP stamp I would be very interested.
GibbonsB

Return to World War II