French censornumber WW I

To access the database you will need to be a CCSG member with a username and password, which members can obtain from me at dannmayo@att.net. If you are not already a member, you can also contact me at that e-ddress for membership details.

French censornumber WW I

Postby arnefredens » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:37 am

I need information about the number used in France under WW I. Example no 4 - 13 -14. where were they used?
arnefredens

Re: French censornumber WW I

Postby gmark » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:19 pm

Hello Arne
There are two types of censor handstamps with numbers within a double oval.
If the top word is CONTROLE and the number is sloping it is a military censor, and I do not have any good data on where they were applied. Civil mail posted in a military area was likely to be censored by the military, eg in Alsace area.
If the top word in the oval is OUVERT and the number is upright that is civil mail censorship.
In this group the numbers were allocated in blocks but within the blocks there are gaps. The main groups were:
1-50 Dieppe, 51-100 Belfort, 101-200 Beaune, 201-250 Lyon, 251-265 Bellgarde, 301-350 Marseilles, 351-400 Bordeaux, 401-422 Bourg-en-Bresse, 451-500 Narbonne.
Part of the Marseilles block of numbers was allocated post-armistice to Salonika and Constantinople.
Groups from the higher numbers, 751 upwards, were allocated to Algeria Tunisia and Egypt and post-armistice to Beirut.
And you will know that 901-920 were allocated to London from my articles in the Bulletin.
I hope this answers your questions.
Graham
gmark

Re: French censornumber WW I

Postby dannmayo » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:48 am

Hi,

I have been trying (so far without success) to figure out a way to move this string from the PC66/90 topic, to which it is completely unrelated, to the WWI section of the forum, where it belongs. I think that the low level of replies relates to it being on the wrong place. If your questions have been answered over the past couple of months, I can just delete it. If you want it to stay, let me know and I will get it moved somehow.
dannmayo

Return to UK PC66/PC90 Examiner Numbers Database